PLANNING YOUR MODULAR STRUCTURE
Want to Save time and money on your next modular building project?
Careful planning will help you to anticipate problems, make the right decisions, and to speed construction. If you don't know the answers to all these questions, don't worry. A professional portable building company can help you get the answers that you need.
Initial Design Size
- How will the building be used?
- What kind of specialized equipment will be used in the portable building?
- What kind of energy source will be used for heating? Is it readily available?
- How many people will be using the modular building? How many private offices are needed?
- How many conference rooms?
- Will you need a food preparation/serving area?
- Does your portable building allow for easy expansion to accommodate future growth?
Time & Money
- Do you have a site plan?
- Have you had the soil tested to determine building criteria like loading levels and foundation types? Have you checked drainage? Have you checked for contaminants?
- Is the lot level?
- Will it need fill? Will it need dirt removed? Rock removed?
- Have you checked zoning and building code restrictions?
- Have your modular building plans been approved by your local planning department?
- Is the site located close to existing utilities?
- Are there existing services (sewer, water, power, storm sewers, etc.) that can handle the building's anticipated demands?
- What is your budget for the project?
- Have you included money for architectural/engineering fees, performance bonds, legal fees, required surveys, tests, environmental studies, inspections, etc.?
- Have you arranged for insurance during construction?
- Are there other structures, current or planned, on the property?
- How much would you like to finance the project? What type of financing will you need (short-term construction financing, long-term financing, both)?
- When do you want to move in and begin using the building?
Choosing a Builder
- What type of exterior appearance are you trying to achieve?
- Is a non-combustible building required?
- What type of roof system do you want (shingle, rubber membrane, standing seam metal, etc.)?
- Do you need a clear span (open area without columns) building? Can you incorporate support columns into your work areas?
- What kind of interior wall systems do you want (partitions, fixed walls)?
- What finishes do you want for your interior walls (drywall, tile, vinyl wall coverings, fabrics, wood finishes, paint, wallpaper, paneling, other)?
- Have you considered the advantages/disadvantages of each type of material (i.e.., durability, maintenance requirements, etc.?)
- What floor coverings do you plan for each area (tile, carpeting, etc.)?
- Are there special floor load requirements (for files or heavy equipment)?
- What ceiling finishes do you need (acoustical tile, suspended acoustical ceiling, drywall, other)?
- What kind of interior lighting do you need?
- Have you carefully planned the location of all utility outlets (water, sewer, electrical, communication cables, industrial/medical gases)?
- What additional features will be required (sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, firewalls, special security hardware, alarm systems, public address systems,other)?
- What type of heating and cooling systems are needed?
- Can the company make use of a variety of modular building methods within budget?
- How much experience does it have in building for others in your field?
- Can you visit other projects the company has completed?
- Can the company give you references (complete with names, addresses & telephone numbers)?
- Does the company use quality materials for construction?
- Does the company have the financial resources and reputation necessary to secure bonding (bid, performances, and payment), and to bring the project to a successful conclusion?
- Can the company offer you a variety of franchising options (lease, lease-purchase, lease with an option to buy or outright purchase)? Has it given you a clear explanation of each option?
- Can the company provide as many services as you need?Building design/engineering, Site preparation, Project management, Building construction, and Finish work (including parking lots & landscaping)
- What provision does the company make for service? Does it offer extended warranty/service plans?
Click Here To View Modular Building Floor Plans
Click Here To View Our Portable Buildings Photo Gallery